Although the analysts consensus is that, if these numbers are correct, investors could see an annual total return in the 20% range, the individual analyst's estimates are plus or minus 7% from that figure. The P/E ratio of 28.36 is still high and no dividends are expected to be paid until all the Macondo bills are tallied and settled.
The best thing the company has going for it is that due to environmental concerns, most of the current exploration is in deep water, where it is the market leader. Financial strength is still a B++.
Investor sentiment is all over the place. While TheStreet rates the stock a D, Wall Street analysts still have 11 strong buy, 18 buy, 13 hold and only two underperform recommendations published. The individual investor is looking for a comeback and 6,128 readers of Motley Fool gave the stock a 98% vote of confidence to beat the market.Peer Competition: The market always has the final vote and this past year investors saw the price of RIG go up only 3% while National Oilwell Varco (NOV) was up 53%, Schlumberger (SLB) was up 24% and Halliburton (HALL) was up 11%. National Oilwell Varco got a B rating from TheStreet and analysts think revenue will increase by 35.5% this year and 16.7% next year. Earnings could be up 14.9% next year and increase at an annual rate of 16% over the next five years Schlumberger got also got a B rating from TheStreet and analysts project a revenue increase of 8.7% this year and 10.3% next year. Earnings could be up 19% next year and 18.15% annual increase for the next five years. Halliburton also has a B rating from The Street and analysts estimate revenue to be up 15.3% this year and another 6.8% next year. Earnings might be up 8.6% next year and continue to increase by 15.35% annually for the next five years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV