PLEASANTON, Calif., Oct. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), one of the largest corporate supporters of cancer research and treatment, and The Safeway Foundation are continuing their efforts to fund ground-breaking research and the pursuit of a cure with a month-long breast cancer fundraising and awareness campaign in October.
The company, which has raised and donated more than $102 million for the cause, will bring more support to research programs and critical outreach to develop new treatments and save lives. Each of the 1,666 Safeway, Vons, Pavilions, Dominick's Tom Thumb, Randalls and Carrs stores in the U.S. and Canada will accept donations at checkstands and conduct other fundraising activities throughout October.
"Finding a cure is something our customers and employees truly care about and whole-heartedly support with their time, financial donations and talents," said Larree Renda, Safeway Executive Vice President and Chair of the Safeway Foundation. "With more than 200,000 women in the U.S. being diagnosed with breast cancer annually, we know we're increasing survival rates and making a true impact in this fight."
In addition to providing customers with opportunities to donate at checkstands, Safeway and a number of its suppliers are getting involved by donating $5 for every $30 spent on products with special pink ribbon tags.Funds raised by Safeway and The Safeway Foundation have made the following possible:
- The nationwide I-SPY2 trial, which continues to be a pioneer in the clinical trial design and drug development process, is decreasing the time to bring a new drug to the marketplace from 10 to 15 years to 3 to 6 years. This shortened time span lowers drug costs and gives patients quicker access to new, potentially life-saving medications.
- Athena Breast Health Network Specialists have been hired and trained to assist patients at elevated risk for breast cancer to better understand their risk factors and prevention strategies. The Athena Breast Health Network is a collaboration between the five University of California (UC) Medical Centers, the Institute for Health Policy Studies at UC San Francisco, and the School of Public Health at UC Berkeley. Athena patient "navigators" at each of the five UC Medical Centers are the first point of contact for patients to help them understand their personal breast health options for prevention.
- The re-launch of the celebrated BreastCancerTrials.org website in March 2012. The site, which provides a matching service that enables patients to find trials personalized to their individualized cancer and experience, has new expanded educational content and features QuickViews, an easy way for users to review groups of trials organized by categories, such as complementary and alternative medicine trials, vaccine trials and metastatic breast cancer.
- Funding more than 100 organizations to further local research, treatment and access to preventive services in the neighborhoods where our customers and employees live.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV