RAIT Financial Trust (NYSE: RAS) (“RAIT”) today announced that ARS VI Investor I, LLC (the “Investor”), an affiliate of Almanac Realty Investors, LLC (“Almanac”), has committed to invest $100 million in RAIT. The capital will be utilized to fund RAIT’s expanding loan origination and investment activities, including CMBS and bridge lending. The first $20 million of this commitment is expected to be funded on October 17, 2012. In connection with the funding, RAIT’s Board of Trustees (the “Board”) will appoint Andrew M. Silberstein, a partner of Almanac, to join the Board.
Scott Schaeffer, RAIT’s Chairman and CEO, said, “We are pleased to announce this $100 million commitment from Almanac. We are seeing excellent lending opportunities and it’s time to once again grow our loan portfolio by utilizing our core commercial real estate lending platform which has been in place since RAIT was founded in 1997. Almanac’s commitment is indicative of the strength in our platform and provides RAIT with an efficient means to access capital to support our growth initiatives. We are very focused on investing in RAIT’s traditional commercial real estate lending business and we expect to deploy this capital into investments that will be accretive to both earnings and dividends.”
Andrew M. Silberstein, a partner of Almanac, said, “We are excited about the opportunity to invest in RAIT and this investment signals our confidence in the RAIT management team's ability to deploy this capital. RAIT is a seasoned commercial real estate lender, a market leader, and we look forward to seeing RAIT use this capital to expand its depth and reach in the market.”
- $100 million investment to be drawn at RAIT’s discretion, subject to customary draw down conditions, from time to time over the next two years for a combination of RAIT securities including the following:
- 4.0 million Series D Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Shares (the “Series D Preferred Shares”) bearing a cash coupon rate initially of 7.5% and increasing at regular intervals thereafter. Ranks on parity with RAIT’s existing outstanding preferred shares. Liquidation preference equal to $26.25 per share for five years and $25.00 per share thereafter.
- The Series D Preferred Shares will be issued in combination with warrants (the “Warrants”) exercisable for, in the aggregate, up to 9,931,000 of RAIT’s common shares (the “Common Shares”) for an exercise price of $6.00 per Common Share, in each case subject to adjustment.
- The Series D Preferred Shares will also be issued in combination with Common Shares appreciation rights (“SARs”) with respect to, in the aggregate, up to 6,735,667 Common Shares for an exercise price of $6.00 per Common Share, in each case subject to adjustment. Any SARs exercise may be settled by RAIT with cash or by issuing a note. RAIT will not issue any Common Shares upon exercise of the SARs.
- Use of proceeds: to fund RAIT’s loan origination and investment activities, including CMBS and bridge lending.
- The Investor will have the right to designate one member of the Board following the first funding of $20 million, expected on October 17, 2012, and for so long as it maintains a minimum ownership in RAIT’s securities. Mr. Silberstein will serve as this designee.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV