In games, Microsoft is seeing a move away from consoles toward mobile and social gaming. How about getting your hottest XBox games onto your Windows 8 tablets? How about combining Kinect and mobility in some way?
Microsoft is doing a lot of work aimed at bringing more kids to computer science, and bringing more foreign programmers to the U.S. But many of its moves look late and half-hearted.
Mashable says Microsoft is going back into the news business. Has it heard of the Huffington Post and The Daily Beast? Does it have a take on the news, or is it going to be like CNN? Because that's not working.
Want my thought? Open some foreign "news" bureaus, collecting stories that no one else is bringing to America, and bring them here. Translate them. Build community around them. Build a global community and make stars of news people we've never heard of.Back in February we got a flurry of news stories, like this one in Business Insider, labeling Tim Cook look-alike Steve Sinofsky, 47, as Ballmer's heir apparent. Changing the game means promoting the man to CEO, the sooner the better. It used to be, a few years ago, that Microsoft dwarfed other tech giants in market cap. Today Google (GOOG) is worth more than Microsoft. Let me summarize, in case the folks in Redmond haven't heard me yet. Change the game or you're going to lose it. At the time of publication, the author had a position in MSFT.. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV