1. Capital One
Shares of Capital One Financial (COF) of McLean, Va., closed at $56.96, returning 35% year-to-date, following a flat return during 2011.
The shares trade for 1.6 times tangible book value, and for 8.2 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $6.94. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $6.16.
For the 12-month-period ended June 30, Capital One's ROA was 1.00%, while the company's ROE was 7.70%.
The consensus among analysts is for Capital One to report a third-quarter profit of $1.65, increasing from 16 cents during the second quarter, when the company set aside reserves for the $27 billion U.S. credit card portfolio it acquired from HSBC (HBC), and also agreed to pay $210 million in refunds and fines, after entering into a settlement with regulators over the marketing of credit protection products. During the third quarter of 2011, the company earned $1.77 a share.While Capital One's acquisitions over the years have pushed the company in different directions, the company's shoring up of its liquidity with the purchase of ING Direct early this year, followed by the HSBC card purchases, pushes the company further back toward its core competency. Guggenheim analyst David Darst rates the company a "Buy," with a $67 price target, and said last month that "COF is in a prime competitive position to benefit from a consumer shift to direct banking, given its product set, early adopter customer base, and national brand," and that his "$7.00 earnings estimate for 2013 assumes COF generates a 15%
Interested in more on Capital One? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV