The Los Angeles-based company is a new start-up from Niklas Zennstrom, one of the original co-founders of Skype - now owned by Microsoft (MSFT).
Now in beta, FreedomPop really is offering free wireless, 4G Internet data services - up to a point. And that point is 500 MB per month. That should be good enough if you stick to light Web browsing and checking your e-mail.
Need more? The company's 2 GB "Casual Plan" is $17.99 a month and their "best deal", the 4 GB "Premiere Plan" will set you back $28.99 a month. If you go over your data limit it will cost you an additional penny or two per MB. Add $2.99 to any plan for their "guaranteed fastest upload speeds all day, every day."Additionally, FreedomPop charges a "rental fee" for the hardware you'll need to actually use the service. They're offering a free 4G USB stick with a $49 refundable security deposit and a free 4G hotspot (which supports as many as 8 connections at a time) with an $89 refundable deposit. At the start, FreedomPop will be utilizing Clearwire's (CLWR) WiMAX, 4G data services. But the company plans to switch to faster LTE data service as soon as Sprint's (S) rollout can support it - reportedly early in 2013. In addition, FreedomPop plans to sell a number premium services (such as device protection) as well as offers of awards of extra megabytes of data if you watch a short video or visit a specific Website. Finally, some possible good news for smartphone fans. The company is also thinking about marketing 4G add-on smartphone cases for popular models such as the iPhone and maybe some Android models. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV