Investors though may not look closely because other restaurant IPOs have done well. Chuy's Holdings (CHUY) has gone up over 50% year-to-date. Steakhouse chain Del Frisco's (DFRG) is up roughly 14%, and Bloomin Brands (BLMN), the home of Outback Steakhouse, has gained more than 20% year-to-date.
But there are also cautionary tales out there, such as Ignite Restaurant Group (IRG), which had a much cleaner filing than Dave & Buster's. Ignite went public in May 2012 and within months it turned out the filing wasn't so clean after all. The company improperly accounted for its leases and now has to restate its earnings. The stock has plunged and there is a class action lawsuit from the new shareholders.
Investors should enjoy Dave & Busters as a patron, not as an investment. It's a fun place and a super venue for a teen birthday party. However, if you want some exposure to the restaurant industry for your portfolio, choose a different, more established profit maker like Chuy's. If you're willing to risk a few pennies, Cosi (COSI) could be worth a shot as a turnaround play.
IPO Desktop President Francis Gaskins believes Dave & Busters stock has a good chance for some appreciation from the IPO price, but he believes investors should look to take profits at first chance. He's skeptical of the company's ability to stay in the black. Gaskins also isn't impressed that Oak Hill wants the public to bail it out of a bad investment.-- Written by Debra Borchardt in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV