NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Most of the rumblings we've been hearing about the upcoming Microsoft (MSFT) Windows 8 tablets have been about consumer-oriented computers. But developers have also been hard at work creating new devices for enterprise users.
Take the ElitePad 900 announced this morning by Hewlett Packard (HPQ). The no.1 PC maker is calling this device its new "true tablet for business."
The tablet sports a 10.1-inch touchscreen display in a 16-by-10 aspect ratio protected by Corning's (GLW) Gorilla Glass 2. HP says that the display's maximized for business applications. The tablet weighs in at 1.5 pounds, measures 9.2 mm thick and will have a 8 megapixel camera on the back and a front-facing shooter capable of 1080p video.
The ElitePad 900 will run Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8 operating system on a "next-generation" but unspecified Intel (INTC) x86-compatible processor. HP claims the device was created to handle popular business applications right out of the box.In addition to a slew of enterprise-oriented software, including printing support for HP printers, ElitePad 900 also offers a choice of hardware add-on "jackets" which let business customers create their own, personal tablet experiences. The ElitePad "Productivity Jacket" for example, includes an integrated keyboard, connectivity ports, SD card reader and adjustable viewing angles, while the "Expansion Jacket" offers USB and HDMI connectivity. A "Rugged Case" option provides "military grade" protection, according to HP, which also offers a Docking Station and Tablet Pen for the device. The ElitePad 900 tablet isn't expected to go on sale until January, 2013. Prices will be announced closer to availability. HP shares rose 2.17% to $17.43 on Monday. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV