are challenged with preventing power losses and sub-harmonic oscillations associated with inefficient discontinuous conduction mode (DCM) boost converters. Fairchild Semiconductor’s (NYSE: FCS)
single-channel boost controllers with integrated high-voltage dimming MOSFETs address these challenges by helping designers achieve greater efficiency, performance and better reliability in high-power lighting applications such as LED backlighting for 3D televisions and monitors.
These backlight driving boost switches use a current-mode control topology with programmable slope compensation to prevent sub-harmonic oscillation. Designed with an internal dimming and analog pulse-width modulation (PWM), these devices overcome the short falls of a DCM boost converter by achieving a fast PWM dimming response.
Both devices offer integrated protection features such as under-voltage lockout, open LED protection, and over-voltage protection that help to minimize component count. Additionally, these devices provide error prevention by generating a FAULT signal with delay if an abnormal LED string condition occurs.
Features and Benefits:
Packaging and Pricing Information (in US 1,000 quantity pieces)
Samples available upon request - Delivery 8-12 weeks ARO
- FAN7340: R DS(ON) = 3.4Ω at V GS = 10V, BV DSS = 400V
- FAN73402: R DS(ON) = 1.0Ω at V GS = 10V, BV DSS = 200V
- Wide-supply voltage range: 10V to 35V
- Cycle-by-cycle current limiting
- Internal soft-start prevents in-rush current flowing into output capacitor at startup
- Programmable switching frequency
- Both available in a 16-lead SOIC package the FAN7340 is priced at $0.85 and the FAN73402 is priced at $1.06
Fairchild enables engineers to drive innovation in their designs by developing solutions like the FAN7340 and FAN73402. The company offers a broad portfolio of full range power semiconductor devices that cover high-, mid-, and low-power ranges to help designers maximize energy savings in virtually every power-sensitive application.