SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQGM: NTGR), a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers, today announced the new NETGEAR Developer Program, a revolutionary, simple way for developers to create new apps to help customers get more out of the millions of NETGEAR devices purchased every month. In an industry first, NETGEAR has created a huge opportunity for developers to produce apps by leveraging the NETGEAR Smart Network architecture built into an increasing number of its consumer and small-business devices, including a selection of routers, gateways and network-attached storage (NAS) devices.
Developers simply register at the NETGEAR Smart Network website at http://developer.netgear.com, where they can access all the Java®-based building blocks they need to create apps. NETGEAR makes it easy for developers to share or sell their apps through the NETGEAR genie+™ marketplace. For the first time, home and small business customers can remotely download apps directly to their connected NETGEAR devices just as they would to a smartphone or tablet – to expand functionality. No other network vendor offers an app development platform or app store for these types of devices.
"The first technology platform of its kind, the NETGEAR Smart Network is the foundation that will make the smart home a reality. The ability to run apps on devices that are always on and connected to the home network has been the missing link to bring the smart home out of science fiction and make it a reality for millions of consumers and small businesses around the world. We can't do it all on our own. Making the NETGEAR Smart Network a reality will be a joint venture with thousands of app developers and appliance manufacturers globally. We're looking forward to continually engaging new partners and offering new possibilities for consumers and small businesses to benefit even more from the networked world," said David Soares, senior vice president and general manager of the retail business unit at NETGEAR.
Getting started is easy Developers who are interested in joining the NETGEAR Smart Network revolution can sign up on the NETGEAR Smart Network developer website at http://developer.netgear.com.Standards-based tools for developers Whether developers are looking to create simple web apps, drivers or integration software for NETGEAR consumer devices, the NETGEAR Smart Network development platform simplifies the job. Complete, easy-to-access resources are available, including:
- XML APIs: For a technology-agnostic API, developers can leverage the NETGEAR Smart Network Intelligent Cloud app server to enable customers to access their apps anywhere, anytime – or developers can choose to write their own user interfaces and/or hosted applications in the cloud. Plug-ins are provided to enable developers to gain access to the devices and data they need to complete their apps.
- Java bundles: For apps hosted inside the home on NETGEAR always-on routers, gateways or ReadyNAS® devices, developers writing in Java are supplied with libraries, tutorials, sample applications and templates.
- Drivers and native code: The NETGEAR Smart Network platform enables developers to use native code for hard-core device drivers or existing applications.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV