I enter earnings season with a negative short-term mindset -- a very reactionary attitude. Something doesn't sit too well. We're seeing mounting data letdowns, a large macroeconomic risk the market has chosen to ignore -- i.e., the fiscal cliff -- and rose-colored glasses like bottoms-up estimates on 2013. While you sit on the sidelines, start thinking about where the next positive catalyst or "tell" could appear from. That's what I'm doing.
The Bucket Shop Rumor Mill
- I fully anticipate Bill Ackman to defend JCPenney (JCP - Get Report) if he's asked about the company's progress at this week's Value Investor Conference. Last time he commented on the company a couple months ago, the stock went on a good run. However, the stock has recently demonstrated a knack for trading on the dreadful fundamentals in store for at least the next six months, so I remain cautious.
- If David Einhorn is in fact short Lululemon (LULU - Get Report), the Value Investor Conference is likely where he will show his hand.
The Advanced Investor Lesson: P/E Multiples
An interview in Barron's offered a succinct investing lesson for all you hardcore Ben Graham disciples. Be aware of when to assign a company a price-to-earnings multiple that, due to a fundamental change in the business, is not in keeping with its historical or sector norm. The example given was Delphi (DLPH - Get Report), normally a low-P/E business (think 5x to 8x) as a result of its commodity operations. Upon exiting bankruptcy, the company is generally in faster-growing arenas, lacking the exposure to low-margin businesses of yesteryear. As a result, Delphi warrants a higher P/E multiple, with the Barron's interviewee suggesting one of 10x to 13x -- typical for an industrial.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV