LAVAL, Quebec, Oct. 1, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Neptune Technologies & Bioressources Inc. (" Neptune") (Nasdaq:NEPT) (TSX:NTB) is proud to announce that the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (the " USPTO") will tomorrow grant its new patent, US 8,278,351 (the " Continuation Patent"). The Continuation Patent claims the benefit of another of Neptune's U.S. Patents, No. 8,030,348, (the " Parent") and contains claims to krill extracts comprising a phospholipid suitable for human consumption. These new claims cover all of Neptune's products, including the successful NKO ® brand, and a number of krill oil products currently sold in the U.S. market.
The Continuation Patent, filed about a year ago, was allowed by the USPTO after a thorough examination which included a review of a substantial volume of prior art references and other materials, including the papers from the re-examination requests filed by Aker Biomarine ASA (" Aker") directed to the Parent and a related Neptune patent in the U.S., as well as the oppositions being undertaken on related Neptune patents in Europe and Australia.
"The granting of the Continuation Patent further reinforces our position as the pioneer in the krill oil industry and reiterates to our investors, shareholders, and clients that we are committed to continuously building and defending our IP and market position, not only in the United States, but also throughout the world," stated Henri Harland, President and CEO of Neptune. "We expect that our competitors will attempt to minimize this achievement. However, the fact that the USPTO has allowed the Continuation Patent, after considering all the prior art and evidence submitted by Aker in the re-examination, is, for us, a clear indication of the strength and validity of the claims," he added. "Neptune maintains its policy of enforcing its patents against anyone who infringes," he concluded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV