LONDON (AP) â¿¿ European stocks edged higher on Monday as investors cautiously welcomed the result of stress tests of Spain's banks. But the threat that Moody's might downgrade the country's debt rating to junk status limited gains.
The results of an independent audit of 14 Spanish banks were released after the market close on Friday and showed the lenders need an extra â¿¬60 billion ($77.6 billion) in capital. The figure is roughly as expected and well within the â¿¬100 billion in rescue loans that Madrid can get from fellow eurozone countries to help the banks.
Also helping stocks was a slight improvement in a survey of the eurozone's manufacturing sector. The so-called purchasing managers' index for September was revised up slightly from its preliminary estimate released a week ago, but remains at a historically weak level.By late morning in Europe, Germany's DAX stock index rose 1.3 percent to 7,307.27 and France's CAC-40 was up 1.5 percent to 3,405.43. Britain's FTSE 100 rose 1 percent to 5,800.63 while Spain's Ibex was up 0.6 percent at 7,752.10 Wall Street was expected to open higher â¿¿ Dow futures were up 0.6 percent and the wider S&P 500 futures were 0.5 percent higher. Meanwhile, Asian indexes were mixed by the close. Casting a shadow over markets was a possible downgrade by credit rating agency Moody's of Spain's debt rating to junk status. The agency has the debt on review and is due to release its findings any day this week. Any cut in the rating would make Spain's debt non-investment grade. That would hurt Spanish markets because many pension funds and banks would have to sell them from their portfolios and desist from buying them at auction. That, in turn, would force Spain to pay higher rates to borrow money, further hurting its finances.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV