It all comes down to talking the talk and walking the walk. Cook simply does not have the ability to do the latter, therefore, if he does anything to remake Apple in his own image, he should throttle back on the former.
It's not just that he cannot walk the walk, he cannot clean up mistakes like Jobs could. Everybody makes mistakes. Jobs even made him. The recovery process is what matters. Cook butchered this one.
Just like he has no clue how to move forward with old guard media firms vis-a-vis Apple TV, Cook pokes in the dark on MappleGate. If Tim Cook was Barack Obama, Rush Limbaugh would say he's in over his head in the Oval Office.
Together, Cook and Ron Johnson at JC Penney (JCP) prove that it's much easier to do great work when you're taking orders from and riding shotgun with Steve Jobs. Leave them to their own devices and you see what happens.There's no sign of anything resembling a turnaround happening at JCP. And, while Apple continues to dominate, the not-so-slow erosion of its culture under Tim Cook rolls on. As competent as they might be as executives, Johnson and Cook are both classic characters out of an MBA textbook. They have no business leading companies like Apple or orchestrating wholesale transformations that require otherworldly vision. Ultimately, this is an incredibly sad story. Most of all, Steve Jobs left his family and friends (and the rest of us) way too soon. Secondary to that, Apple's supreme reign will end prematurely. I'm not sure it's possible for it to have gone any other way, no matter who got the gig. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned in this article.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV