GE Healthcare today announced its second ‘GE Global Pink Ribbons’ campaign will run in over 40 global locations during October 2012.
Building on the success of last year’s events , several thousand GE employees will come together to form ‘Human Ribbons’ and visually demonstrate the global fight against the disease during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. New countries taking part this year include Egypt, Venezuela and Ukraine. To follow the activities, see how the importance of awareness and early detection of breast cancer is being raised visit the GE Healthcare Newsroom and Breast Cancer Mosaic site - which is a dedicated site created to share stories from breast cancer survivors, family members and physicians to increase awareness around breast cancer and to inspire those who are going through a difficult time.
“We envision a day when cancer is no longer a deadly disease. Building on GE’s cancer commitment, we aim to bring the most promising cancer ideas to market, develop technologies that improve accuracy of diagnosis and enable more effective treatment decisions, and empower doctors and patients with better information,” said John Dineen, President and CEO of GE Healthcare.
Dineen continued, “Emphasis on awareness building and early diagnosis will significantly enhance the effectiveness of treatment and reduce healthcare costs. The Global Ribbons campaign is important as it spreads the powerful message that early detection can save lives.”Awareness of the importance of early detection of breast cancer continues to be an important issue in both developed and developing countries; as worldwide breast cancer remains the most common invasive cancer in women. In 2008, breast cancer caused almost 460, 000 deaths worldwide, almost 14% of cancer deaths in women. 1 Lack of access to appropriate facilities, up-to-date imaging technologies or trained medical professionals mean that even today two-thirds of all women around the world must forgo regular breast screenings. In addition to raising awareness during Breast Cancer Awareness Month, GE Healthcare is committed to reaching many of these women through a series of in-country partnerships with governments, NGOs and local health partners that can help mobilize efforts on the ground in regions. In addition to these “GE Global Pink Ribbons” events, GE Healthcare raises awareness around the battle against cancer through multiple online and social media channels.
- The # GetFit competition encouraged individuals and teams to post their healthy lifestyle choices on Twitter, Weibo or Facebook using the #GetFit hashtag; reinforcing the importance of a positive healthy lifestyle in cancer prevention. #GetFit cancer country ambassadors were showcased on Pinterest .
- GE recently launched the HealthyShare Facebook App . This new tool is a channel for people to share health goals, track progress against goals and use friends as sources of inspiration and motivation toward better health.
- In an effort to educate about the importance of asking questions for those diagnosed with cancer, and inform about how individualized cancer diagnostics and treatments can help drive positive outcomes, Is My Cancer Different? has been established as a resource.
- Later this month through the power of music, the company will launch an initiative based on Spotify, to support breast cancer patients.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV