Credit monitoring services are provided by a variety of businesses, from credit card issuers to credit agencies. The service typically costs $13 to $15 per month, or $160 to $180 per year. This monthly fee covers daily credit report monitoring, sending alerts and fraud resolution insurance.
- A credit freeze is the best way to protect your credit score and prevent someone else from opening an account in your name. Only you can place a credit freeze or remove it.
- Credit cards offer free protection against fraud. As soon as you discover the fraud, contact your credit card issuer. Once you report the loss or theft, you have no further responsibility for unauthorized charges. Your maximum liability under federal law is $50 per card.
- Get free annual credit reports from the three major bureaus at AnnualCreditReport.com.
- Check your credit card often to verify the charges and look for unauthorized activity.
- Set up text alerts for account activity.