Most cardholders would be better off financially by focusing on paying down their credit card balances. Instead of paying the monthly fee, add that amount to your monthly payment to pay down your balance faster.
Credit monitoring service
Credit monitoring services are provided by a variety of businesses, from credit card issuers to credit agencies. The service typically costs $13 to $15 per month, or $160 to $180 per year. This monthly fee covers daily credit report monitoring, sending alerts and fraud resolution insurance.
Consumers are typically better off saving that money and taking easy steps to monitor their own accounts.
Here are ways to protect your own credit:
- A credit freeze is the best way to protect your credit score and prevent someone else from opening an account in your name. Only you can place a credit freeze or remove it.
- Credit cards offer free protection against fraud. As soon as you discover the fraud, contact your credit card issuer. Once you report the loss or theft, you have no further responsibility for unauthorized charges. Your maximum liability under federal law is $50 per card.
- Get free annual credit reports from the three major bureaus at AnnualCreditReport.com.
- Check your credit card often to verify the charges and look for unauthorized activity.
- Set up text alerts for account activity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV