NEW YORK ( LowCards.com) -- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is punishing credit card issuers that misled cardholders into buying payment protection and credit monitoring services. Last week the bureau announced that Discover (DFS) will pay $214 million in fines and penalties. In July, Capital One (COF) agreed to pay $210 million for the same thing.
Banks push these services aggressively because they generate significant revenue. The bureau is doing what it can to protect consumers, but consumers must also protect themselves. Signing up for services you don't need or understand wastes money you can be using to pay down your balance and get out of debt.
What are these services, and do cardholders need them?
Credit protection plans can provide some insurance for life events such as unemployment or disability that may prevent you from making your loan payment. Debt protection products suspend or cancel all or part of a consumer's obligation to repay the outstanding balance on your credit card when a qualifying event occurs. These protection plans actually protect the lender from your inability to repay by making payments to the lender on your behalf.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV