5 Big Shadow Banking Threats to Everyone and Everything
5. Project Isobel (Securitization)
At roughly EUR1.4 billion, this pool of troubled property loans originated by Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and partially sold to Blackstone Group (BX) is, by itself, far too small to pose a threat to global markets.
However, it represents just the beginning of a coming "wave" of similar transactions where European institutions pool together and sell off troubled assets, according to KPMG . The consulting giant estimates more than EUR1.5 trillion in nonperforming loans are still sitting on European bank balance sheets.The European debt crisis has been around for long enough that it is difficult to believe prospective investors or ratings agencies aren't aware of the risks related to Project Isobel or future securities of this type that get created from that EUR1.5 trillion in troubled loans. Still, the possibility of contagion from a European debt crisis is very real, according to Yale's Metrick. "It's very hard to know where the third degree exposures are to Spanish and Italian debt. If Spain and Italy are unable to maintain the Euro at some point and have to go out of it, it's not obvious that German debt will be safe at that point. What's the exposure to German debt? What's the exposure to the institutions that are exposed to German debt? Nobody knows that," Metrick says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV