It is also important that UC patients properly manage their nutrition because fluids, nutrients and electrolytes can be lost due to rectal bleeding and diarrhea. Additionally, 25 percent of UC patients will require surgery during the course of the disease.
"Since the first FDA approval of HUMIRA in late 2002, Abbott has continued to investigate the medication in multiple conditions with the goal of bringing this treatment option to more patients who may benefit from it," said John M. Leonard, M.D., senior vice president, Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Abbott. "This approval underscores Abbott's commitment to investing in and advancing our pipeline to benefit patients with IBD."
About the HUMIRA UC Phase 3 Clinical ProgramAbbott's submission for HUMIRA was supported by results from two phase 3 studies, ULTRA 1, an 8-week study, and ULTRA 2, a 52-week study, both of which enrolled adult patients who had moderately to severely active UC despite concurrent or prior treatment with immunosuppressants (i.e., corticosteroids, azathioprine, or 6-mercaptopurine).
The primary endpoint of both studies was the proportion of patients achieving clinical remission at specified time points (week 8 in ULTRA 1 and weeks 8 and 52 in ULTRA 2). Remission was defined as a Mayo score of < 2 and no individual subscore > 1. The Mayo score is calculated based on subscores of stool frequency, rectal bleeding, physician's global assessment and endoscopy. In the FDA-approved dose, both studies achieved their primary endpoints. The safety results from both studies were consistent with the known safety profile of HUMIRA and no new safety signals were identified.Other Approved HUMIRA Indications HUMIRA is a prescription medicine used: To reduce the signs and symptoms of:
- Moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in adults. HUMIRA can be used alone, with methotrexate, or with certain other medicines. HUMIRA may prevent further damage to the bones and joints and may help the ability to perform daily activities.
- Moderate to severe polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) in children 4 years of age and older. HUMIRA can be used alone, with methotrexate, or with certain other medicines.
- Psoriatic arthritis (PsA) in adults. HUMIRA can be used alone or with certain other medicines. HUMIRA may prevent further damage to the bones and joints and may help the ability to perform daily activities.
- Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) in adults.
- Moderate to severe Crohn's disease (CD) and to achieve and maintain clinical remission in adults who have not responded well to conventional treatments. HUMIRA is also for these adults who have lost response to or are unable to tolerate infliximab.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV