5 Top Beer Apps for Oktoberfest
Beer Wizard will help those returning to post-Oktoberfest-life quench their thirst. The app opens with a mouth-watering close-up of honey-colored beer gently sloshing in a glass before displaying a screen with "BEER you know, by FOOD pairing, or by beer STYLE." By selecting one of these three options, users can explore a comprehensive database of American "craft beers," meaning beer not brewed by a "mega-brewery" such as Anheuser-Busch (BUD) or Miller Coors Brewing Company.
Users can navigate the Beer Wizard application by selecting a brewery name, beer name, style and country of origin. Then, users can sort results by selecting a food pairing, such as barbecue, Chinese, or buttery or sharp cheeses. More sophisticated beer connoisseurs can specify color and bitterness by selecting International Bittering Units (or "IBU") to measure the bittering substances in the beer. Light lagers typically have an IBU rating between 5-10, while big, bitter beers can have an IBU of 50-70, according to Beer Wizard.
Finally, users can input their location and select an option for beers on tap.The app is focused on educating users about quality beer, so although it allows recommendations of beers missing from the database, it warns that all beers go through an extensive vetting process. This 99 cent app is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, but requires iOS 5.0 or later. --Written by Nathalie Pierrepont in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @nrpierrepont
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV