TORONTO (AP) â¿¿ The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said Friday that it has temporarily shut a meatpacking plant linked to contaminated beef products that have been distributed across Canada and the United States.
Brian Evans, special advisor to the president of the inspection agency, said Friday that XL Foods has had its operating license temporarily suspended. The agency said an XL Foods plant in Brooks, Alberta won't resume operations until it has taken the steps necessary to ensure its products are free of E. coli bacteria.
Evans said all products currently at the plant are under the agency's detention and control and will be released only after being tested for E. coli.The U.S. Department of Agriculture earlier this week extended its public health alert about the company's beef to stores in 30 states. A recall has also been issued in Puerto Rico. Along with retail giant Walmart, the store chains involved in the XL Foods recall in the U.S. include Safeway, Kroger, Jay C, FoodsCo., Food4Less, Albertson's and Sam's Club. The alert meant XL Foods would voluntarily recall beef products, which include steaks, roasts and ground beef, from these stores. Across Canada, the recall includes 316 products. American food inspectors first noted a problem during a border check on Sept. 3 â¿¿ one day before the Canadians â¿¿ but issued the first public notice on Sept. 20. Canada revoked the plant's permit to export beef to the U.S. on Sept. 13 at the request of the USDA. E. coli bacteria can cause diarrhea, dehydration and other problems and is often worse in the very young and elderly. The bacteria is often present at slaughter plants, but can also be found in several other food sources, as well as equipment used to process food items. Since Sept. 16, the CFIA has issued at least eight recall alerts for XL Foods ground beef products over E. coli concerns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV