Allstate Foundation helps local Feeding America foodbanks continue to bring food to those in need
CHICAGO, Sept. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- One month ago today, Hurricane Isaac began its slow journey through the Gulf Coast - devastating the shoreline and low-level areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. In its wake, thousands of people were left without power, food, water and other essentials.
However, as part of Feeding America's Disaster Relief Program, member food banks were at the ready to bring supplies to those in need. In the New Orleans area alone, the Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana has distributed nearly 1.8 million pounds of food to disaster victims.
And those deliveries continue. A month after the hurricane's landfall, the local food banks continue to deliver thousands of pounds of food to those in hard-hit areas.
"Our member food banks are on the ground supporting the local community every day. So when a disaster strikes, we are well positioned to provide much needed food and supplies to affected families," said Matt Knott, interim President and CEO of Feeding America, the nation's leading hunger relief organization. "But, we wouldn't be able to do that without our generous corporate partners like The Allstate Foundation, who make sure that we can help our neighbors, friends and family on a moment's notice, even in the most challenging of circumstances."Feeding America and The Allstate Foundation were able to help area food banks reply to an increased demand - up to four times the previous need in some communities - where the everyday disaster of hunger is already such an urgent issue in these vulnerable communities in the Gulf Coast.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV