Another biotech stock that's trading within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade is Sucampo Pharmaceuticals (SCMP), which is focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of drugs based on prostones, to treat gastrointestinal, ophthalmologic, CNS, vascular and respiratory diseases as well as other potential therapeutic applications. This stock has been hit hard by the sellers during the last six months, with shares down by around 30%.
If you look at the chart for Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this stock has been uptrending strong for the last two months, with shares soaring from a low of $3.78 to its recent high of $5.45 a share. During that uptrend, shares of SCMP have been making mostly higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish technical price action. That move has now pushed SCMP within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade.
Market players should now look for long-biased trades in SCMP if it can manage to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $5.45 to $6.03 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 76,125 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then SCMP will have a great chance to re-fill a previous gap and trend up towards $7 a share. This stock could even hit $8 if it were to clear some more overhead resistance at $7.25 a share with high volume.One could look to buy SCMP off any weakness to anticipate that breakout, and simply use a stop somewhere near $4.70 a share. A better play might be to just buy SCMP off strength once it clears $5.45 and then clears its 200-day moving average at $6.03 a share with heavy volume. If you buy off strength, then I would use a stop at around $5.20 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV