Another stock in the biotechnology and drugs complex that's setting up for a major breakout trade is Synergy Pharmaceuticals (SGYP), which focuses primarily on the development of drugs to treat gastrointestinal disorders and diseases in the U.S. This stock is off to a decent start in 2012, with shares up over 30% so far.
If you take a look at the chart for Synergy Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this stock has been trending sideways for the last month and change, with shares moving between $4.30 on the downside and $5.24 on the upside. This sideways trend has been keeping SGYP above both its 50-day and 200-day moving averages, which is technically bullish price action. This trend has also started to coil up SGYP into a tight range, which is often what we see before a stock makes a powerful breakout.
Market players should now look for long-biased trades in SGYP once it manages to take out some near-term overhead resistance levels at $5 to $5.24 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that tracks in close to or above its three-month average action of 229,859 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, SGYP could make a powerful move and possibly re-test its May high of $7.08 a share.One can look to buy SGYP off any weakness and anticipate that breakout, and simply use a stop that sits right below some near-term support at $4.30 a share. One could also buy off strength once SGYP takes out $5 to $5.24 a share with high volume, and then simply use a stop at around $4.70 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV