3. FedEx launches small business competition. FedEx (FDX - Get Report) has launched its first small business grant competition which will award a total of $50,000 to six U.S. businesses. The top winner will receive a $25,000 grant and the remaining five winners will receive grants of $5,000 each.
Small businesses that have fewer than 100 employees are eligible for the contest. Contestants have until November 17 to register a business and upload a profile to be voted on by Facebook users. Voting via Facebook begins this Monday and continues through November 24.
FedEx will choose 100 finalists in December. The top six small businesses -- including the grand prize winner -- will be announced in January.
"FedEx has long recognized that small businesses are incredibly vital to the health of both the global economy and local communities," said T. Michael Glenn, executive vice president of market development at FedEx. "Providing these grants is yet another way for FedEx to show our support for small businesses as we continue to create programs to help give them a head start and access to new opportunities."Separately, FedEx is also kicking off its second year of support for Small Business Saturday. Earlier this week, American Express (AXP) launched a toolkit to help small retailers prepare for customers to "Shop Small" on November 24. Now in its third year, Small Business Saturday takes place on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Included in AmEx's kit are posters that local FedEx Office stores will be printing for free for small retailers to post in their stores. Retailers can access the toolkit, which includes the posters on the Small Business Saturday Facebook page. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts