3. Discover Financial Services
Shares of Discover Financial Services closed at $39.71 Thursday, returning 66% year-to-date, following a 315% return last year.
The shares trade for 9.5 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $4.18.
Sakhrani's price target of $48 implies upside of 21% for the shares.
Discover on Thursday reported earnings of $627 million, or $1.21 a share, for its fiscal third quarter ended Aug. 31, increasing from $537 million, or $1.01 a share, the previous quarter, and $642 million, or $1.18 a share, a year earlier.The sequential earnings improvement reflected a $182 million release of loan loss reserves during the fiscal third quarter. During the previous quarter, the company released $110 million in reserves. While earnings were down slightly from a year earlier, earnings-per-share were up, because of the company's share repurchases. Discover bought back roughly 10 million shares for $350 million during the fiscal third quarter. Total shares outstanding declined by 1.9% during the quarter. Sakhrani estimates that Discover's EPS for fiscal 2012 will be $4.42, followed by EPS of $4.16 in fiscal 2013. DFS data by YCharts
Interested in more on Discover Financial Services? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV