GLENVIEW, Ill., Sept. 28, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SurePayroll Inc., a leader in providing online payroll to small businesses nationwide, today announced September results for its monthly SurePayroll Small Business Scorecard® showing small business owners' optimism at 45 percent, a sharp drop from 60 percent in August. Month over month hiring in September was down 0.2 percent and the average paycheck was flat. Results from the Scorecard optimism found that four out of five small business owners' optimism is being impacted by the upcoming election.
"It's deeply concerning that optimism plunged 15 points at a time when we're struggling to maintain the recovery," said SurePayroll CEO and President Michael Alter. "This suggests a lack of growth through the election, but what's more troubling is what it could mean beyond that. When small business owners are not optimistic, they're not investing and they're not hiring."
The Scorecard survey also asked small business owners about their views on the upcoming presidential election. (The results are no in way representative of SurePayroll's views and opinions. The margin of error for the survey is +/- 5 percentage points, based on results from 411 respondents). Some of the results include:
- 77 percent say the election is having an impact on their optimism.
- 61 percent plan to vote for Mitt Romney; 33 percent for Barack Obama.
- 66 percent say Romney is better for small businesses; 34 percent say Obama is better for small business.
- 67 percent say Romney better represents their views on economic/fiscal policy; 33 percent say Obama best represents those views.
- 65 percent say Romney will drive more jobs; 35 percent say Obama will drive more jobs.
- Economic and tax policy were the two biggest drivers of small business owners' votes; followed by health care, the national debt and foreign policy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV