HOUSTON, Sept. 28, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:HCC) today announced that A.M. Best Company has upgraded the issuer credit rating (ICR) of HCC Life Insurance Company (HCC Life) to "aa" from "aa-" and affirmed its financial strength rating (FSR) of "A+ (Superior)", both with a "stable" outlook. A.M. Best also affirmed the FSRs of "A+ (Superior)" and the ICRs of "aa" with a "stable" outlook of the property and casualty members of the Houston Casualty Group. Additionally, the ICR and debt rating of "a" were affirmed on the $300 million 6.300% Senior Notes due 2019 of the holding company with a "stable" outlook.
In a press release dated September 26, 2012 regarding HCC's and its subsidiaries' ratings, A.M. Best commented, "The ratings of HCC reflect its long-standing presence in the specialty property/casualty market, its sustained profitability, strong capitalization, as well as substantial financial flexibility afforded by HCC Holdings. These rating attributes are largely supported by HCC's business strategies, which have long focused on underwriting within defined commercial specialty lines, effective utilization of affiliated underwriting agencies/insurance intermediaries and the optimal utilization of reinsurance protection. These strategies have helped produce consistent operating profits in recent years despite challenging market conditions. The ratings also acknowledge HCC's near-term earnings prospects, its strong position in the specialty admitted and non-admitted market segments, low to moderate risk profile and its conservative investment strategy."
"We are very pleased with A.M. Best's recently announced ratings upgrade and affirmations and believe these actions acknowledge the strength of our business model and balance sheet and the consistency of our profitability across market cycles," said John N. Molbeck, Jr., HCC's Chief Executive Officer.The following insurance companies comprise the property and casualty members of Houston Casualty Group, as defined by A.M. Best:
- Houston Casualty Company
- U.S. Specialty Insurance Company
- Avemco Insurance Company
- HCC Specialty Insurance Company
- American Contractors Indemnity Company ("stable" outlook)
- United States Surety Company ("stable" outlook)
- Perico Life Insurance Company (Perico) ("negative" outlook)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV