Gassee, Elmer-DeWitt and other optimists just live in a different type of past. One that ignores the present reality and mid- to long-term implications of the death of a once-in-a-lifetime leader and entrepreneur.
Based on today -- looking at valuation and iPhone 5 -- there's no question that analyst and media noise halted AAPL's run into the $700s.
However, despite Apple's present-day dominance, the long-term bull case clearly has holes in it.
At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned in this article.Follow @RoccoPendola This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV