The Finish Line, Inc. (NASDAQ: FINL) today reported results for the 13-week and 26-week periods ended September 1, 2012.
For the thirteen weeks ended September 1, 2012:
- Consolidated net sales, inclusive of Finish Line and The Running Company, increased 16.1% to $385.0 million.
- Finish Line comparable store sales increased 12.3% on top of an 11.0% increase for the same period a year ago.
- Digital comparable sales, which are included in the comparable store sales results, were up 29.6%.
- Earnings per diluted share increased 25.6% to $0.49.
“We are very pleased with the strength of our second quarter performance,” said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Glenn Lyon. “Our ability to achieve double digit comps in the second quarter, on top of a double digit comp increase in the prior year period illustrates our ability to further expand our leadership position in athletic footwear. Second quarter sales were driven by market share gains in running and basketball as we have been able to capitalize on recent trends in each category enabled by our strong relationships with both vendors and consumers. Importantly, we translated a 16% top-line increase into 26% earnings growth even as we make the necessary investments in order to successfully execute our omni-channel vision. We move forward with sound strategies in place that we believe will further improve our consumer mindshare, deliver consistent sales and earnings growth, and return increased value to our shareholders.”
Balance SheetAs of September 1, 2012, consolidated merchandise inventories increased 9.0% to $250.6 million compared to $229.8 million as of August 27, 2011. For Finish Line, merchandise inventories increased by 6.3%. As of September 1, 2012, the company had no interest-bearing debt and $254.2 million in cash and cash equivalents, compared to $289.6 million a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV