In essence, with the world's central banks determined to depress interest rates at any cost, many insisted that electronically printed money would continue finding its way into stocks.
What was forgotten in the excitement of bond bailouts by monetary policy institutions (e.g., Bank of Japan, U.S. Federal Reserve, European Central Bank, etc.) was the probability that the actions would do little to help the global economy.
Until recent profit warnings by business cycle bellwethers like Caterpillar (CAT), until Philadelphia Fed chief Charles Plosser announced that mortgage-bond buying stimulus would not lower unemployment, investors seemed content to ignore economic difficulties altogether.Adding fuel to global recession fears, Spanish 10-year yields have worked their way back above 6%. Until and unless Spain formerly applies for the ECB's bond bailout, risky assets may continue to lose some of their luminescence. In fact, even after a formal request for bailout funds, the conditional nature of the funding may only deepen Spain's horrific economy. At the end of August and at the beginning of September, I advocated that total market investors consider downshifting to yield producers and inflation fighters.
SPDR Gold Trust, 3.4%
iShares FTSE NAREIT Mortgage REIT, 2.6%
Guggenheim Muli-Asset Income, 1.5%
PowerShares Emerging Market Sovereign, 1.5%
iShares S&P U.S. Preferred, 0.7%
SPDR Barclays High Yield Bond, 0.3%
Vanguard REIT ETF, -2.2%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV