NEW YORK ( ETF Expert) --Benjamin Franklin said, "It would be thought a hard government that should tax its people one-tenth part of their income."
Yet, recent polls show that the majority of U.S. citizens do not believe Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's 2011 effective rate of 14.4% was high enough. Apparently, not everyone seems to feel that one-tenth, or 10%, is harsh at all.
More famously, Mr. Franklin quipped, "In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." Indeed, Franklin would be surprised to discover that nearly half of United States citizens pay zero federal income tax.
Taxes certain? Far from it. For instance, we may or may not witness a bevy of tax increases (aka the fiscal cliff) at the end of 2012. Moreover, it is incredibly unclear who will pay more, and how much more.That said, there is one certainty involving financial matters. Ben Bernanke is guaranteeing the Federal Reserve will buy $40 billion of mortgage-backed bonds every month. It is an open-ended promise... meaning it has no foreseeable expiration other than tangible improvements in the labor market and the economy as a whole. Now, short of the federal government
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV