The world's largest soup maker said Thursday that it will close a plant in Sacramento, Calif., that has about 700 full-time workers. The plant, which makes soups, sauces and beverages, was built in 1947 and is the company's oldest in the country. That also means it has the highest production costs of Campbell's four U.S. soup plants.
Campbell also plans to shutter a spice plant in South Plainfield, N.J. that has 27 employees. Production will be shifted to the company's other spice plant in Milwaukee.
By The Associated Press(equals)The Dow Jones industrial average climbed 72.46 points, or 0.5 percent, to close at 13,485.97. The Standard & Poor's 500 index, after five days of declines, closed up 13.83 points, or just shy of 1 percent, at 1,447.15. The Nasdaq composite index rose 42.90 points to 3,136.60. Benchmark oil gained $1.87, or 2.1 percent to finish at $91.85 per barrel in New York. Brent crude, which is used to price international varieties of oil, gained $1.97 to close at $112.01 on the ICE Futures Exchange in London. Heating oil rose 5.1 cents to close at $3.157 per gallon. Wholesale gasoline gained 6.3 cents to finish at $3.14 per gallon. Natural gas added 8.2 cents to end at $3.297 per 1,000 cubic feet, a high for the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV