RTI Biologics Inc. (RTI) (Nasdaq:RTIX), a leading provider of orthopedic and other biologic implants, recently donated several BioSet® RT Allograft Paste implants to Lemoyne, Pa.-based CURE International. The paste, a demineralized bone matrix (DBM), was used Sept. 18 during a surgery to remove a large, benign cyst from the pelvic bone of an 11-year-old patient in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
According to Ted Beemer, M.D., medical administrator/surgeon for CURE Honduras, the cyst extended from the front of the patient’s pelvic bone to her sacroiliac joint and caused extreme pain, presumably due to the weakening bone directly over the hip joint and adjacent to the sacroliliac joint. The patient was confined to walking with crutches for two months leading up to the surgery due to pain and fear of further collapse of the bone around the hip joint. The donated allograft paste was needed because obtaining sufficient autograft — tissue from one’s own body — risked weakening the side used for walking during the surgery recovery period.
“The surgery went well, and I fully expect her to make a complete recovery thanks to the substantial allograft donation by RTI,” Beemer said. “I am certain that her recovery would have been significantly deterred if we had needed to take that much autologous bone from her other side and/or lower extremities. In fact, she would have been confined to a wheelchair for weeks instead of being able to walk with crutches.
“We are very appreciative to RTI Biologics for its donation. It made a huge difference in this child’s treatment and will continue to affect her recuperation.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV