NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The scariest part of Halloween shopping isn't the pop-up stores full of movie tie-ins and slutty tollbooth collector costumes dotting the nation's half-dead shopping centers, but the tombstones of retailers past hidden by their temporary tarp-banners.
Halloween is about as good a time as any to take U.S. retail's pre-holiday temperature. For some unfortunate retailers, the result comes back as cold as a corpse. Even as the National Association of Realtors predicts retail vacancy rates will improve from 12% to 11% this year, some stores just aren't cutting it.
We took a look around the nation's strip malls and indoor shopping plazas to find the companies most likely to have left logos scarred onto Halloween pop-up stores. The shop windows are filled with cobwebs and grim reapers, but the costume and novelty stores inside are haunted by the ghosts of shopping seasons past:
10. Best Buy
Stores closed or closing this year: 50
Stores closed or closing this year: 60 If you're convinced supermarkets just keep the same candy corn and candy pumpkins around from year to year, the failed stores of the SuperValu franchise are about to let you test theory. Citing falling profits and increased competition, SuperValu decided to lose some of its 4,400-store glut this year. Abandoned supermarkets may fall even below Halloween-store standards, but getting some of SuperValu's stale seasonal items in the deal could make pop-ups into one-stop shopping.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV