This Day On The Street
Continue to site right-arrow
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
TheStreet Open House

Broadway Financial Corporation Reports Net Earnings For Second Quarter 2012

Stocks in this article: BYFC

At June 30, 2012 our allowance for loan losses was $17.9 million, or 5.70% of our gross loans receivable, compared to $17.3 million, or 5.09% of our gross loans, at year-end 2011. The ratio of the allowance for loan losses to NPLs, excluding loans held for sale, increased to 45.17% at June 30, 2012, compared to 44.20% at year-end 2011. As of June 30, 2012, 67% of our NPLs had been written down to their adjusted fair value less estimated selling costs, by establishing specific reserves or charged-off as necessary. On the remaining 33% of NPLs, the fair value of collateral less estimated selling costs exceeded the recorded investment in the loan and did not require specific reserves or charge-offs.

Impaired loans at June 30, 2012 were $57.2 million, compared to $56.3 million at December 31, 2011. Specific reserves for impaired loans were $3.8 million, or 6.67% of the aggregate impaired loan amount at June 30, 2012, compared to $3.9 million, or 7.00%, at December 31, 2011. Excluding specific reserves for impaired loans, our coverage ratio (general allowance as a percentage of total non-impaired loans) was 5.49% at June 30, 2012, compared to 4.71% at December 31, 2011.

Loan charge-offs during the first six months of 2012 were $800 thousand, or 0.47% of average loans, compared to $2.9 million, or 1.38% of average loans, during the first six months of 2011. Most of the $800 thousand of charge-offs were not reserved for at year-end 2011 and were primarily related to loans that became impaired during the first six months of 2012 and with respect to which recent valuations of the underlying collateral reflected impairment losses. Charge-offs in church loans totaled $387 thousand and represented 49% of charge-offs during 2012. Charge-offs in one-to-four family residential real estate loans totaled $355 thousand and represented 44% of charge-offs during 2012. Charge-offs in commercial real estate loans totaled $58 thousand and represented 7% of charge-offs during 2012.

6 of 8

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Dividend Stock Advisor

Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
Submit an article to us!


DOW 17,191.37 -195.84 -1.13%
S&P 500 2,002.16 -27.39 -1.35%
NASDAQ 4,637.9940 -43.5030 -0.93%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Free Newsletters from TheStreet

My Subscriptions:

After the Bell

Before the Bell

Booyah! Newsletter

Midday Bell

TheStreet Top 10 Stories

Winners & Losers

Register for Newsletters
Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs