5 Best College Towns for Real Estate Investors
Fourth-best city: Princeton, N.J.
Difference between rent and mortgage: 209.8%
Rents in the home of 7,900-student Princeton University average $2,056 a month -- more than double the $980 monthly mortgage bill on a typical home in the area.
Besides hosting a world-famous school, Princeton serves as headquarters for Berlitz, the Educational Testing Service and other large local employers. Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), Dow Jones and other big firms also have significant operations in the area.Additionally, the 60,000-population community is just 10 miles from the New Jersey state capital of Trenton, as well as roughly 45 miles from Philadelphia and New York City. All of this has given Princeton a relatively stable housing market. Median asking prices on Realtor.com rose 0.03% for the Princeton/Trenton metro area in the 12 months ended July 31, to reach $265,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV