5 Best College Towns for Real Estate Investors
Fifth-best city: Atlanta
Difference between rent and mortgage: 182.6%
DuBois says "Hotlanta" offers investors the potential of good rental income and solid capital appreciation.
That's because the 5.3 million-population metro area's real estate market -- which tumbled during the housing bust -- appears to be rebounding. Median Atlanta-area list prices on Realtor.com rose 9.8% over the past year to hit $174,900."Atlanta was hit hard by foreclosures, but prices are starting to appreciate there and I think we're seeing some stability," DuBois says. Georgia's capital city also offers investors high rents relative to monthly mortgage payments. Rents there average $1,187 a month, or 182.6% more than the $650 monthly mortgage bill you'll face on a typical property. Atlanta also offers a large base of student and nonstudent tenants. The city not only hosts giant Georgia State University (32,000 students), Emory University (13,900 pupils) and other schools, but is home to such top corporations as Coca-Cola (KO) and Delta Air Lines (DAL). "There are multiple tenants you can appeal to -- not just students," DuBois says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV