This means any publisher, or authority figure, who thinks they can stand above this medium soon learns better. In the mid-1990s, at the Atlanta Press Club, I heard Cox Enterprises Chair James Cox Kennedy predict he'd win the Web by simply "repurposing" existing content. I had to hide my laughter behind a pillar.
If you think journalism means writers, editors or publishers can dictate to the market, any market, then the Internet has been a horror show. If you think a journalism job is a sinecure, that it confers status, that being a talking head makes you better than anyone around you, the Internet has been your comeuppance.
This medium levels the playing field. It destroys hierarchies. It rejects authority. At its very heart is the idea you can fly away from this page at the touch of your hand, or turn a nobody into somebody by "word of mouse."
Want to make money online? Build community. Nurture linking, nurture the people who link to you, build a community around a shared industry, place or lifestyle. Don't just talk, listen.That's why sites like
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV