NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Some 35 years ago, I was far from the most popular graduate student at Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism.
I'm sure the faculty voted me "least likely to still be at this 35 years from now." I suspect they passed me through only because they feared I'd just re-enroll.
It seems I was an arrogant know-it-all. But at the heart of my argument with authority was a question that has played out throughout my career: Is the online world a net benefit to journalism, or does it destroy journalism?
Yes, we could see it coming, at the dawn of the PC era. It may please my teachers' spirits to know I've since been fired from every regular gig I've ever had, mainly due to insubordination. I am an arrogant know-it-all, still, albeit a persistent one. The difference is that I know that now.But the question remains: Is this medium a net positive or a net negative for the employment of journalists? I got my answer a few years after graduation. I was at Comdex, a now-extinct computer show now best known as the start of Sheldon Adelson's fortune. I was at a small party helping "close" the old CP/M operating system with my wife and two editors with whom we'd become friendly. Then our party got a special guest. His name was
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV