And then there's Research In Motion, which reported a much narrower than anticipated loss for its fiscal second quarter after the closing bell as it grew its subscriber base and increased its cash balance.
The BlackBerry maker posted an adjusted loss of $142 million, or 27 cents a share, for its fiscal second quarter ended in August on revenue of $2.87 billion. The performance beat the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for a loss of 46 cents a share in quarter on revenue of $2.50 billion.
The stock, which is down more than 50% this year, was last quoted at $8.55, up nearly 20%, on late volume of more than 16 million.
Also, Facebook (FB) shares were enjoying a 1%-plus pop on volume of more than 700,000 after the social networking giant announced a new functionality to allow users to buy real gifts for their friends through the site.The company said Facebook Gifts will roll out gradually, first becoming available to U.S. users. -- Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV