AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- More Americans than ever are choosing natural and/or organic foods according to the fifth annual Whole Foods Market ® Food Shopping Trend Tracker Survey. The research revealed that nearly three out of four Americans (73 percent) don't want to compromise on the quality of the food they buy regardless of current food prices and nearly two-thirds (64 percent) describe themselves as "value seekers" when it comes to grocery shopping.
The survey, conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Interactive on behalf of Whole Foods Market from August 3-7, 2012 among 2,274 adults age 18 and older, found nearly three out of four Americans (71 percent) prefer to buy natural and/or organic foods over conventional foods if prices are comparable. One in four Americans (27 percent) are devoting more than a quarter of their grocery dollars to natural and/or organic products, up 35 percent from four years ago.
"We see that Americans from all demographics are seeking more natural and organic foods; especially if the price is right," said A.C. Gallo, president and COO of Whole Foods Market. "We don't believe shoppers should have to sacrifice quality for price, so we aim to offer high quality food that fits every budget through competitive pricing and expanding our 365 Everyday Value line."
Further, the research disclosed that many Americans are willing to pay more for foods that meet certain criteria:
- Nearly half (47 percent) are willing to pay higher prices for locally produced foods
- Nearly a third (32 percent) are willing to pay more for foods with no artificial ingredients, preservatives or colorings
- Nearly one out of three (30 percent) are willing to pay more for meats raised with no antibiotics or added growth hormones and one in four (24 percent) are willing to pay more for meats raised under humane animal husbandry standards
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV