JPMorgan ChaseJPMorgan Chase (JPM) is another name on hedge funds' hate list. I hope you're getting a theme here: The big banks are persona non grata in hedge funds' portfolios right now. While JPM didn't get obliterated from hedge fund holdings the same way that Citi did ("only" around 15% of shares got unloaded), funds still sold more than 25 million shares of JPMorgan, cutting the market value of their JPM holdings by $2.5 billion.
In short, JPMorgan Chase suffers from most of the same issues that Citigroup does. Yes, the firm's financial performance has improved substantially in the last few years, but the firm's balance sheet is still a bit of a minefield, even though management talks about having a "fortress balance sheet" every chance they get. There's no doubt that CEO Jamie Dimon is good at his job - and he's a great cheerleader for the industry as well -- but the risks inherent in the big banks right now outweigh most of the rewards in my view.That's not to say that you need to avoid banks wholesale. A number of regional banking names still look like bargains right now, and several bigger names with hefty fee driven revenue offer the scale of large banking names without the balance sheet scariness. JPMorgan shows up on a recent list of 10 Stock Picks of the Highest-Rated Money Managers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV