BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- As a coattail investor, it pays to follow the stocks that some of the world's most successful investors love. But what about the stocks they hate?
Retail investors are programmed to focus on buying. More often than not, professional investors don't suffer from that same bias. Instead, the uncommon wisdom in the money management business reminds us that the key to longevity in these markets isn't finding big gains; it's avoiding big losses.
That's exactly why taking a closer look at the names that hedge fund managers hate can help you escape the stocks that look the least attractive right now. To find them, we'll break out a new set of 13F filings.Institutional investors with more than $100 million in assets are required to file a 13F, a form that breaks down their stock positions for public consumption. From hedge funds to mutual funds to insurance companies, any professional investors who manage more than that $100 million watermark are required to file a 13F. >>5 Blue-Chip Stocks Ready for Buyers In the second quarter of 2012, 858 hedge funds filed the form with the SEC, and by comparing one quarter's filing to another, we can see how the group is moving around their $1.2 trillion in equity under management. The results just may surprise you. Without further ado, here's a look at five stocks fund managers hate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV