ROCKVILLE, Md., Sept. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Neuralstem, Inc. (NYSE MKT: CUR) announced it has been approved to commence a clinical trial to treat motor deficits due to ischemic stroke with its spinal cord stem cells (NSI-566) at BaYi Brain Hospital, in Beijing, China, through its subsidiary, Neuralstem China (Suzhou Neuralstem Biopharmaceutical Company, Ltd.). The trial approval includes a combined phase I/II design and will test direct injections into the brain of NSI-566, the same cell product tested by Neuralstem in a recently-completed Phase IALS trial in the United States. The trial is expected to begin early next year. Ischemic strokes, the most common type of stroke, occur as a result of an obstruction within a blood vessel supplying blood to the brain. Post-stroke motor deficits include paralysis in arms and legs and can be permanent.
" China is rapidly moving to become a prominent player in the field of stem cell transplantation and regenerative medicine," said Karl Johe PhD, Chairman of Neuralstem's Board of Directors and Chief Scientific Officer. "We are honored and excited to begin this process at BaYi Brain Hospital in Beijing, China. BaYi is one of the premier neurological hospitals in China, and we can assure all of our stake holders that the quality of the medical care and treatment our patients receive, as well as the entire protocol, will be the equal of any trial we do anywhere in the world, including our FDA-approved trial in the U.S."
"BaYi prides itself on its world class research capabilities," said Professor Xu RuXiang, President of the BaYi Hospital and principal investigator of the trial. "Chronic motor disorder from stroke is a serious public health issue for China, where we, as a population, now suffer over 2 million ischemic strokes per year. We are ready to be the world's first site for Neuralstem's cell therapy stroke trial and excited about its potential."About the Trial
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV