Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) today reported net income of $627 million or $1.21 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2012, as compared to $649 million or $1.18 per share for the third quarter of 2011. The company’s return on equity was 28%. Strong year-over-year revenue growth and lower charge-offs were offset by lower loan loss reserve releases and increased legal expense due to accruals associated with the recently concluded Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) regulatory matter.
Third Quarter Highlights
- Total loans grew $5.1 billion, or 9%, from the prior year to $59.2 billion.
- Credit card loans grew $1.9 billion, or 4%, to $48.1 billion and Discover card sales volume increased 4% from the prior year.
- Credit card loan delinquencies and net charge-offs reached historic lows with a delinquency rate for loans over 30 days past due of 1.81% and a net charge-off rate of 2.43%.
- Payment Services pretax income was up 31% from the prior year to $49 million. Transaction volume for the segment was $50.3 billion in the quarter, an increase of 13% from the prior year.
“Our business segments demonstrated solid performance during the quarter,” said David Nelms, chairman and CEO of Discover. “Card sales and receivables grew in a challenging environment while credit quality continued to improve. We successfully launched Discover Home Loans in June, which expanded our direct banking product suite. In payments, we signed agreements with PayPal, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, and most recently Russian Standard Bank to enhance our global presence and leverage our existing infrastructure.”
Segment Results:Direct Banking Direct Banking pretax income of $963 million in the quarter was down $46 million, or 5%, from the prior year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV