- Poverty: 30 percent of children living in the district live below the poverty line. A contributor is the growing number of children growing up in single-mother households, which increases the likelihood of poverty and higher risks to health and development.
- Drop-out rate: An alarming number of youth have dropped out of the educational system. In 2010 alone, more than 43,000 youth between the ages of 5 and 19 were not enrolled in school in the National Capital Region. These youth face significantly limited economic opportunities and pose an enormous cost to society in terms of lost earnings.
- Increased number of immigrant children: The influx of immigrant children in communities, many with limited proficiency in English, requires additional resources and services to help youth achieve educational and economic success. Many of these learners – the newest wave disproportionately young - will have fewer educational and career prospects without support.
- Housing and transportation: These costs in the region are among the highest in the nation, adding to the struggles of low-income families and hindering the expansion of economic opportunities for individuals, families and communities.
- Unemployment and stifled economic growth: The 14,000 youth ages 16 to 19 across the area who currently do not attend school and are not employed could cost the region an estimated $13 billion over their lifetime in lost tax and economic contributions, as well as their use of social services.
Surge In Child Poverty In National Capital Region Leads To Billions In Lost Taxes And Revenues, Study Finds
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.