The feelings of apathy I expressed in the above-linked article resonated with quite a few folks. Where I expected hate mail, I received lots of love. The idea that voting, particularly in a presidential election, is, by and large, a useless and symbolic act hit home with more people than I thought.
Frankly, it sucks to classify voting as such, but it is what it is.
For a brief period of time, I was set to vote for Mitt Romney. Then he named Paul Ryan his running mate. Then, Romney went on his little riff about the 47%. I can't vote for somebody like that and still sleep at night.Don't get me wrong, I'm no Obama fan. I refuse to vote for "the lesser of two evils," but I have succumbed to the fact that that's exactly what he is. An Obama presidency doesn't bode well for you if you make a lot of money, have income-producing investments, have investments you want to sell and/or are self-employed. I'm not looking forward to paying more in taxes for a healthcare program full of compromises and other assorted empty promises. It's not like I'm anti-Romney and pro-Obama. I'm blah to both of them. Despite my election-related apathy, I have been thinking a lot about what the market might do down the 2012 stretch, particularly once we have a winner. At this point, there's no question in my mind the winner will be Obama. He's in the most excellent position, just six weeks out, to sit back in a zone defense. Don't make any mistakes. Answer every question the same way at every debate -- reminding the audience that Mitt Romney only really wants to govern half of the nation. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Lots of people fear an Obama victory, at least with respect to its impact on the stock market. For a second, I did. But then I woke up.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV