Stocks to Watch: RIM, Facebook, Walgreen
NEW YORK -- Research In Motion (RIMM) reported Thursday a much narrower-than-anticipated loss in the fiscal second quarter as its subscriber base grew and its cash balance increased.
The BlackBerry maker posted an adjusted loss of $142 million, or 27 cents a share, for its fiscal second quarter ended in August on revenue of $2.87 billion. Analysts were expecting a loss of 46 cents a share in the quarter on revenue of $2.5 billion.
Facebook (FB) announced Thursday a new functionality to allow users to buy real gifts for their friends through the social networking site. The company said Facebook Gifts will roll out gradually, first becoming available to U.S. users. 5 Big Stock Charts You've Got to See to Believe
Nike (NKE) said Thursday net income in its fiscal first quarter fell 12% from a year earlier. The sneaker maker also said futures orders rose 6% during the quarter, down from a 16% increase in the same quarter of 2011.
Groupon (GRPN), the daily deals site, is reshuffling senior management roles in an attempt to fix its struggling European business -- a shake-up that will also include the departure of its chief of international business, according to a report from Reuters.
Walgreen (WAG) is expected by analysts Friday to post fiscal fourth-quarter earnings of 56 cents a share in the August-ended period on revenue of $17.14 billion.
Earnings are also scheduled Friday from American Greetings (AM) and Finish Line (FINL). -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV