Alvarion® Ltd. (NASDAQ: ALVR), a global provider of optimized wireless broadband solutions addressing the connectivity, coverage and capacity challenges of public and private networks, today announced the successful completion of the BuNGee project following a final review meeting with the European Commission in Brussels. This is subsequent to a successful demonstration held in Tel Aviv in April 2012 showing the project’s main goals, including higher throughput, innovative deployment strategies and an economically viable business case.
BuNGee has been established with objectives to dramatically improve the overall infrastructure capacity density of the mobile network by tenfold, and at the same time, at a commercially viable cost – thereby removing the barriers to beyond next generation network deployments. Such a requirement for capacity density is driven mainly in urban areas where the number of users per square kilometer and the mobile data usage factor is dramatically growing. At the live demonstration, Alvarion and the consortium partners successfully demonstrated the project-developed high capacity radio cell prototype in a real urban mobile environment.
BuNGee (Beyond Next Generation Mobile Networks) is a European Commission Seventh Framework Programme (FP7) funded project for the research of innovative technologies and deployment topologies. The selected consortium for the project is comprised of a network operator, equipment and antenna vendors, research institutes, universities and a consulting firm who are committed to achieve the goals serving as a baseline for beyond next generation ultra-high capacity systems. Alvarion is the coordinator of this project with a leading role in designing the innovative system architecture.
"Viewing the live demonstration at Alvarion's offices was the culmination of the project we envisaged,” states Alister Burr, Professor of Communications in the University of York and one of the BuNGee work package leaders. “The demonstration and the completion of the project mark a very significant step forward in the implementation of next generation wireless networks."The current next-generation technologies LTE and WiMAX support a mere 100 Mbps per square kilometer in a regular cellular deployment. In dense urban areas, where the market demand for wireless broadband access is the highest, the BuNGee project demonstrated a higher throughput of 1 Gbps per square kilometer. This demonstration was imperative in confirming a commercially viable solution for wide-scale uptake of next generation technologies. The successful demonstration of BuNGee took place in a dense urban high-tech industrial park around Alvarion’s offices in Tel Aviv, Israel, on April 17, 2012, before reviewers on behalf of the European Commission, substantiating several fundamental goals in ultra-high capacity technology and designs:
- High-capacity 4G mobile Radio Access Network (RAN) architecture that is cost-, spectrum- and energy- efficient
- Ultra-dense below-rooftop radio network deployment, exploiting the concept of small cells and natural urban radio isolations
- Joint design of access and backhaul networks using heterogeneous radio elements in licensed and license-exempt (LE) spectrum, including aggregation of in-band backhauling and broadband mmWave to address small cells backhauling issues
- Innovative antenna technologies, such as Multi-beam antenna tailored to urban ultra-high capacity needs and advanced MIMO and interference elimination techniques, such as e.g. multi-beam antenna assisted MIMO
- Co-operative technologies at a base station, cognitive radio, autonomous radio resource assignment and network technologies for reduced management and operational complexity
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts